Christmas is a time when we all want to relax and make the most of some free time. But when you own/manage property there is always the worry at the back of your mind that something AWFUL will happen late on Christmas Eve and you won’t be able get it fixed till after Christmas. To stop those niggling worries, make sure you have the 5 following things covered with your tenants:
- When the weather is predicted to head south of zero, make sure they know to set the heating to constant and the thermostat to a temperature they’re comfortable with. Most modern thermostats will have a range of settings one can programme in for different times of day or night – setting the minimum to, say, 9C will ensure pipes don’t freeze overnight or when they’re away.
- Ensure the boiler is serviced when having the GSC done, that way parts can be replaced when they’re needed, rather than when the boiler breaks down over the holidays and you can’t get hold of a plumber.
- If your boiler is getting on a bit, consider getting a maintenance policy in place so that you can get an emergency call out covered if the worst happens.
- Ensure you and your tenants know exactly where the fuse box, gas meter and water stopcock are located.
- To avoid burglaries (common at Christmas) advise your tenants to use timers on a couple of lights in the property if they’re planning to go away, and to ensure that all windows and doors are securely locked when they’re out.
If all that sounds like too much to cope with and you want some help managing your property, contact CBR Property Management. We’ll deal with all this for you so you can enjoy the holidays!